LinkwitzLab website up for 10 years!

ORION only related discussion: Technical issues, amps/xover, listening impressions...

LinkwitzLab website up for 10 years!

Postby Davey » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:44 am

It seems like just yesterday I ordered the pcb boards and built the Phoenix project. :)

Time flies when you're having fun.

Dave.
Davey
Facilitator

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Re: LinkwitzLab website up for 10 years!

Postby Turpin » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:01 am

Happy New Year, everyone :D
Turpin

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby popeye » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:23 am

Turpin wrote:Happy New Year, everyone :D

Some 6 hours to go in UK (I'm still living in ye olde 2009), but Happy New Year anyway!

Well done to SL for 10 years of what must surely be the most informative and useful serious Hifi website on the Planet!
popeye

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Postby JimB » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:42 am

I think it is great. Without this forum (and the generosity of Eric Weitzman and SL), I would not have the wonderful speakers I now enjoy. Thanks to all of you who have contributed so much to this over the years! =D>
JimB

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby jeffbook » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:47 am

I will have had my Orions for 7 years next month. Happiness is not even thinking about "upgrade mania". Meanwhile over at the Asylum, the "Audiofools" quest for "The Absolute Sterophile Sound" continues onward......

Once more, my heartfelt thanks and appreciation to SL, Eike, the internet, and fellow OPLUG members for everything that they have done that allows me to enjoy recorded music as I never have before.

Happy New Year to All!!!!
Jeff Bookwalter
Columbus, OH
jeffbook

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby bcoppola » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:27 am

jeffbook wrote:...Happiness is not even thinking about "upgrade mania". Meanwhile over at the Asylum, the "Audiofools" quest for "The Absolute Sterophile Sound" continues onward......

That's the trouble with the Orions and Plutos. All there is to do is listen to the damn music. :D (I think I stole that line from a long-ago cartoon in The Audio Critic.)

Also doesn't give one much to talk about, audio-wise, which is why I haven't been here much lately. But happy 10th anniversary, SL, and a belated Happy New Year to all!
When testing his Orions for power
And without regard for the hour
He plugged them into the wall
And caused plaster to fall
And most of the neighbors to cower
(after Roger Russell)
bcoppola

Postby SL » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:17 am

Thanks to all of you for the congratulations!

I want to thank Mac and Davey for creating and keeping this Users Group running. If it was'nt for all the questions answered here and the help and support that Orion and Pluto builders have given each other here, I probably would have gone underground a long time ago.

Ten years are a long time in electronics and so my material lists are overdue for updates. Only with your help are people less trained in electronics still able to build the speakers. I thank you for that and maybe someday, when I am not too preoccupied with other matters, I will get around to update those lists and update the design because certain drivers are no longer available from Peerless.

As you have seen from my very recent and last year's activities I am trying to establish with the AES community that stereo is more capable than commonly thought. I want to see tests with large groups of listeners and statistical data analysis, which confirm that loudspeakers and room disappear perceptually depending upon the radiation pattern of the speakers and their placement in the room. The Auditory Scene that is evoked has stereo system and recording dependent spatial distortion, which can be reduced to some degree by varying radiation pattern and room placement.

I am excited to know that such tests will take place next month, coordinated by David Clark of DLC in Detroit. The test results will hopefully confirm the existence of a solution to the loudspeaker/room problem even if my premise turns out to be flawed. More people will have learned something about hearing.

Stay tuned,

SL
SL
Manufacturer

Postby Turpin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:53 am

If it was'nt for all the questions answered here and the help and support that Orion and Pluto builders have given each other here, I probably would have gone underground a long time ago.

I'm sure we're all glad about that. The idea of SL turning into someone like Burt Gummer from the Tremors movies doesn't bear thinking about :D
Turpin

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby mac » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:14 pm

SL wrote:I want to thank Mac and Davey for creating and keeping this Users Group running...

SL

Siegfried, you are very welcome! :D

(Please build an Orion-lite :wink:).
mac
Facilitator

Postby vantagesc » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:23 am

Cheers to SL and those who have helped make this project possible.
vantagesc

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Postby GordonJ » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:34 am

Yes, massive thanks to SL and everyone here. Since finishing my Orions I've had no interest in pursuing my speaker journey any further (well except the rear tweeters which I've yet to get around to) and the experience/hints and tips from various members have been invaluable. Like many others here I feel free to spend a lot more time just listening to the music.
GordonJ

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Return to ORION General